According to Personnel Today, the number of employees reporting mental health worries is up 24% since May 2020, research has revealed from Mental Health Awareness Week.
I qualified as a Mental Health First Aider in July 2019 and the course had a profound affect on me. The Mental Health First Aid course is designed to provide employees and managers with the expertise and confidence to recognise symptoms of mental illness in the workplace. It teaches them how to help workers who are struggling with these problems enabling them to seek assistance.
The main outcomes of the course are to ensure you have:-
- a thorough understanding of mental health and the factors that influence it
- practical knowledge of the causes and symptoms of a variety of mental illnesses
- confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress using the mental health first aid action plan
- enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether through self-help resources, internal support such as EAP, or external sources such as their GP
- an understanding of how to keep themselves safe while performing their duties
- a quick reference card for the mental health first aid action plan